17 August, 2010

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT OVERCOMING GLUTTONY

Jesus said "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God". My prayer is that as we meditate on the Word of God, our fleshly appetites will diminish!!


Phillipians 3:19
Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

1 Peter 5:8

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.


John 6:53

So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

(This verse speaks of embracing the salvation, redemption, and healing that is found in Christ.  We are all made with a God-shaped vacuum.  If we do not fill that void up with our God, then the devil will tempt us to fill that empty space with the desires of the flesh.)

John 6:48-51

I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world.

Revelation 22:2

Through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Luke 18:12

I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’

Song of Solomon 2:4

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love.

Proverbs 23:21

For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Revelation 19:9

And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”


Genesis 2:16-17

And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

 
Please know, beloved, that I have 50 pounds of excess poundage on me!  I have admitted that I am a glutton and I am ministering these verses to ME FIRST!!


I welcome any new comments on these verses or new verses.  I am hoping this list will grow.

Blessings and hugs,   Pat

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful meal of scripture over here! Thanks for sharing the Word Pat!

    I had a rocky day yesterday (as you saw), but this is a NEW DAY! That potato salad was a trigger for me. I love that stuff -- only homemade though (ha). Anyway, today is a new day.

    I will be doing my Couch-to-5k run this morning.

    God bless you!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    Thank God for the New Day! I must remember to watch those "triggers". They still seem to sneak into my plan as well.

    Praise God for friends, fellowship, and His ever present help in time of trouble (or addiction).

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful glorious Words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John 9:29...even though it doesn't speak of gluttony, I found this scripture REALLY ministered to me. Showing me what a stronghold and bondage gluttony was and how His Word would help me be set free.

    I was here the other day but didn't have time to comment. Thanks for 'feeding' us the BEST...God's word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for those great Scriptures! I hope you don't mind my mentioning that if you deprive your body of food too drastically, your metabolism will slow down to compensate. Then, when you go back to eating normally you will gain weight. I think the best way to lose weight is to eat small snacks all day and to rely on God's power to teach you not to overeat and not eat sweets or processed food. This will lead to a lifelong healthy weight.

    Thanks so much for posting this though! Awesome Scriptures!

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great blog! I hope that many are blessed by it. Just a little comment. There seems to be several variations on intermittent fasting. Basically, it means to go for a 24 hour period, one or two times a week, without eating any food. But you can drink water. So, if you eat a meal at 5 p.m. on Monday, and then you do not eat again until 5 p.m. on Tuesday, you have basically gone 24 hours without eating any food. Or you could go from 6 a.m. Monday to 6 p.m. Tuesday without eating. (These are just examples, the days do not matter.) The Fast Five Lifestyle and the Warrior Diet are examples of 2 eating lifestyles that sort of use the intermittent fasting principle. My thing is that for those of us who struggle with gluttony, we need to throw out the word diet! We need to permanently change our way of eating, a diet is only a short term solution. Intermittent fasting is a practice that we can do for the rest of our lives! I would also suggest making other changes such as not drinking or eating foods that have a high sugar content. And, trying to walk for an hour a day, at least 4 times a week, would not hurt either. Thank you for starting this blog! One last point, lol, I believe that intermittent fasting goes to the root of overeating. I have seen people get gastric bypass surgery done twice! They never develop the spiritual and mental strength needed to control their weight. So, they are stuck in a cycle of losing weight and then gaining it right back. We as Christians must fight all of our battles on the spiritual level first! (Forgive any typos, I wrote this very quickly, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU MISSPELLED "INTERMITTENT" IN YOUR TITLE HEADER. I HOPE THAT YOU WILL CORRECT IT. IT MAKES PROOFREADERS AND EDITORS LIKE ME GET CRAZY! LOL! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very helpful. Please keep up the great work---it is very necessary! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thankful for a blog like this. As it ministered to me, God lead me to confession of my sin and ownership of it. Many many years I have been in denial. Thank you your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God Bless us for the food we have to eat. Let us all pray to God the Lord Jesus Christ to have the power to eat in the most healthest way we can. (fruit,vegs.,and protein, these are all natural foods but on this earth to live and eat healthy in the eyes of our God).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are invited and encouraged; we can all learn from each other!

Friends who help me along the way!

INTERMITTENT FASTING FOR HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS